CookieScript allows you to collect and record visitor consents.
How to enable visitor Cookie Consent recording?
Consent recording can be enabled for each item individually. Just check set the "Record user consents" option:
How to download the consent log?
You can download the consent log in your CookieScript item by going to the User consents menu item. You can then choose a period for which you want to generate the Consent Log:
You will also see the status of your current Consent Record option (if it is enabled or not).
What information is collected in the consent log?
A ZIP file will be downloaded automatically. The ZIP file contains a list of zipped CSV files, one for each day for the chosen period.
Inside a CSV file you will find a list with the following data for each Cookie Consent or rejection:
- Unique key that is saved in visitor's cookies. This key can be used to check if the user actually gave consent.
User action (accept / reject).
- Masked IP address of a visitor. The last digits are set to 0, so it is not considered private data.
- Date and time when the user clicked the button. Date and time currently is taken from the user browser, so you have to adjust for possible timezone differences
- Page where consent was given
- User browser agent
- Categories that the user selected (if you allow visitors to select cookie categories). If at least one category besides strictly necessary is chosen, action (2) is set to "Accept". If no categories are accepted, action is set to "Reject"
- Text of Cookie Consent box that user agreed/disagreed to
As you can see, none of the data above can be considered private data, so you do not need any extra consent from the user to use Cookie-Script.
How can the user validate his consent?
If the user wants to validate his consent, he needs to provide his Consent ID key. This is a unique identifier for each consent and it is stored as a first column in the consent log. User can find his unique consent key in the following places:
- About cookies tab in the Cookie Banner. Consent ID is shown right after the text explaining what cookies are.
After the user requests to validate his consent with the Consent ID key, you can find his consent information in the log by this unique Consent ID.