As more and more companies rely on the internet for selling their products and services, website compliance has become an increasingly important topic. When launching a website, companies must focus not just on the design and development of it, but also on the legal issues of the website. With the appearance of privacy laws like GDPR, CCPA, CNIL, UK DPA 2018, and others, users’ privacy must be treated seriously. Any website owner should consider website compliance requirements to protect users’ personal data and avoid high penalties.
In this article, we'll discuss how to achieve your website compliance, why Cookie Consent management is essential for website compliance, and how a cookie Consent Management Platform can help.
What Does a Website Need to be GDPR Compliant?
In the context of website compliance, you should make sure that your website complies with the GDPR and other privacy laws. The principal intention of data privacy regulations is the protection of users’ personal data. Consider the following aspects to reach website compliance.
Cookie Consent Compliance
The most important component of website compliance is Cookie Consent compliance. Cookie consent is the legal requirement of data privacy laws to obtain consent from website users before dropping cookies on their devices. The EU's GDPR and other data privacy laws specify that every website user has a right to decide on what data they want to allow businesses to collect, use and share for their business operations.
To reach Cookie Consent compliance, follow these cookie guidelines of the EU Cookie law (ePrivacy Directive):
- Describe what kind of cookies you intend to set and why.
- Obtain prior cookie consent before collecting personal data.
- The cookie banner should appear on the user’s landing page of your website.
- Cookie Consent must be freely given, specific, informed, and unambiguous.
- Obtain separate consent for different cookie categories.
- Give a possibility to withdraw or change the Cookie Consent status on every page of your website.
- Document and store all user consents.
- Non-interaction with the banner or scrolling over the web page does not mean the user gave Cookie Consent.
- Do not use cookie walls.
Read the GDPR compliance checklist and the CCPA compliance checklist for more details on cookie consent and website compliance issues.
- Your identity and contact details.
- Why do you collect and process personal data?
- How you collect and process personal data.
- The categories of personal data you process.
- Data you share with third parties, if any.
- The identity of third parties, if any.
- Details on international data transfers, if any.
- Data subject rights and how to exercise these rights.
- Inform users that you won't discriminate against them if they do not provide you the right to use their personal data for marketing purposes.
With CookieScript, you can automatically scan your website for cookies and add them to your website’s list of cookies.
Terms of Service Agreement
Another document for website compliance is the Terms of Service Agreement. Terms of Service or a User Agreement or Terms and Conditions is an agreement between websites and their potential clients. It says what a service provider is responsible for, including the service or product, shipping and return policies, disclaimers of any liabilities, and other aspects, as well as user obligations that must be followed for the continuation of the service. Your website should have the Terms of Service Agreement.
Data storage security
GDPR security compliance requires companies to secure all users’ data they collect. Companies should encrypt the collected data depending on its sensitivity, which makes data unreadable, mitigating the risks associated with breaches.
Businesses should also perform penetration testing or a vulnerability assessment of the infrastructure.
Lastly, if a personal data breach does occur, then businesses should properly report to authorities and users with insights into precisely what data was leaked. The procedure of such an event should be prepared in advance.
The Solution for Website Compliance: The Cookie Consent Management Platform
Managing cookies manually can be a complex and time-consuming process. Cookie consent management (CMP) platforms automate the process of managing cookies, obtaining and storing user consent, making it easier for you to comply with data privacy regulations and maintain user trust. There are several benefits to implementing a cookie consent management system. First, it can help you avoid fines and legal issues by ensuring that you are following all relevant regulations. Additionally, it can help build trust with your website users by demonstrating that you take their privacy seriously.
Given the potential consequences of non-compliance, it's essential to have a robust cookie consent management system in place. This system should allow website users to easily understand what cookies your website is using and give them the option to opt-out if they wish.
CookieScript- the best Cookie Consent Management Platform
CookieScript is one the best cookie Consent Management Platforms (CMP), offering a wide range of features to obtain website compliance. CookieScript CMP allows you to:
- Display a Cookie Banner on your website.
- Inform users about the types of cookies used and what are their purposes.
- Give users the possibility to accept or reject categories of cookies separately.
- Record and store user Cookie Consent.
- Make a custom cookie banner, that fits your website design.
- Show cookie table for full disclosure of cookies.
- Show auto-translated Cookie Banner and cookie declaration table.
- Auto-block third-party cookies until the user gives consent.
In conclusion, website compliance is an essential aspect of running a successful online business. Every website needs to follow data privacy regulations to avoid fines and get users’ trust on the website. The easiest and most reliable method to get website compliance is by using the CMP platform. CookieScript is one of the best cookie CMPs, offering a wide range of features to obtain website compliance. It allows automation of the process of managing cookies, cookie consent, and ensures that you are following all relevant regulations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is website compliance?
What does a website need to be GDPR compliant?
What is cookie consent compliance?
How do I make my website compliant?
The easiest and most reliable solution for website compliance is the usage of a Consent Management Platform (CMP). CookieScript CMP offers a wide range of features to obtain website compliance: displays a Cookie Banner, informs users about the types of cookies used and gives them the possibility to accept or reject categories of cookies separately, records and stores Cookie Consent, and much more.